Posts Tagged Kennecott
The State of Utah and Kennecott are moving much quicker than we thought to implement their plans to dump millions of gallons of selenium contaminated water into the middle of Great Salt Lake via a 21 mile pipeline. An Information meeting (Dog and Pony Show) will be held Monday evening (most appropriately I think) at the State Library for the Blind!
Steve Erickson of the Citizen’s Education Project talked to the Water Resources guy who is in charge of the project and he told Steve that the pipeline is already under construction! Steve also tells me that they have no permits to proceed with anything but drawings.
This is, of course, almost identical to the process the Utah State Division of Transportation employed to jump start the Legacy Highway. That was a mistake – perhaps this is as well. What kind of presence can we generate between now and Monday? I note that “the public is invited to comment on the proposal.” If they follow the same scenario that UDOT did this meeting may be designed to convince the public that “this is a done deal and there is no point in trying to fight it.” If so, it is a lie!
If the selenium content is as minuscule and harmless as they say it is then how come they are constructing a multimillion dollar pipeline out to the middle of the lake to get rid of it? How stupid do they think we are? Selenium is known to accumulate in living organisms. What about the contamination of millions of birds and brine shrimp?
Kennecott created this problem by failing to properly line their tailing ponds – they should clean it up entirely no matter what the cost. They are liable. Somehow we have got to alert the environmental community of this threat. Any suggestions that you have would be deeply appreciated
Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District UPDES Permit to Discharge to Great Salt Lake: The public is invited to comment on the proposal of the JVWD to discharge byproduct (including selenium) from the reverse osmosis treatment plant directly into Gilbert Bay of the GSL. This permit is part of the larger project currently underway to clean up groundwater contaminated by Kennecott mining. The Utah Division of Water Quality will review and rule on the plan to discharge this “byproduct” water via a 21-mile long pipeline now under construction from the treatment plant in West Jordan to the Lake. A public information meeting will be held March 22 from 5:00 to 7:30 at the State Library, 250 N. 1950 W. Room 227. The permit will be available for public review.
Gerald M. McDonough
Search One Utah
- Hillary Emerges From Hiding, Says Nothing (17)
- Larry Bergan (mobile): After the debate,Trump said he pays federal income tax. This guy is a real item.
- Richard Warnick: In tonight’s debate, Hillary is already the winner by a lot. She provoked Trump successfully, called him out...
- Nathan Erkkila: You should have been worrying the moment Sanders lost.
- Here’s Why You Can Fear Trump (24)
- Larry Bergan: Pretty stunning when Hillary brought up the fact that Trump had purposely and delightfully profited off the housing...
- Larry Bergan: Trump, literally, can’t shut his mouth. The man cannot behave. At least he didn’t lie when the fact came...
- Richard Warnick: So far in tonight’s debate, Hillary has successfully provoked Trump several times (including an accusation...
- Mike Weinholtz Takes On Governor Herbert In First Debate (5)
- Larry Bergan: I have updated this post with yesterday’s televised debate between Weinholtz and Herbert. One thing I always...
- Larry Bergan: I just found out that the only scheduled debate between Weinholtz and Herbert will be held on the 26th; the same night...
- Larry Bergan: We need transparent government in Utah. As Mr. Weinholtz said in the debate, everything is done behind closed doors...
- Allan Lichtenstein: ‘The rich get richer, the rest get poorer’ (1)
- Larry Bergan: I believe money should be earned. This country needs a maximum wage.
- Jill Stein: Pardon Edward Snowden, Now (8)
- Mostly farce: Might as well post WAPO commits suicide…the inevitable Trump victory is revealing some seriously scummy Democrat...
- Richard Warnick: WashPost Makes History: First Paper to Call for Prosecution of Its Own Source (After Accepting Pulitzer) Three of...
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept: Why Obama Should Pardon All Leakers and Whistleblowers — Not Just Edward Snowden [T]he unfortunate...
- Can Rep. Bishop Run Out the Clock on Bears Ears National Monument? (3)
- The Festive Walk Among Us! (11)
- Hillary Emerges From Hiding, Says Nothing (17)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video