Posts Tagged Kennecott
The State of Utah and Kennecott are moving much quicker than we thought to implement their plans to dump millions of gallons of selenium contaminated water into the middle of Great Salt Lake via a 21 mile pipeline. An Information meeting (Dog and Pony Show) will be held Monday evening (most appropriately I think) at the State Library for the Blind!
Steve Erickson of the Citizen’s Education Project talked to the Water Resources guy who is in charge of the project and he told Steve that the pipeline is already under construction! Steve also tells me that they have no permits to proceed with anything but drawings.
This is, of course, almost identical to the process the Utah State Division of Transportation employed to jump start the Legacy Highway. That was a mistake – perhaps this is as well. What kind of presence can we generate between now and Monday? I note that “the public is invited to comment on the proposal.” If they follow the same scenario that UDOT did this meeting may be designed to convince the public that “this is a done deal and there is no point in trying to fight it.” If so, it is a lie!
If the selenium content is as minuscule and harmless as they say it is then how come they are constructing a multimillion dollar pipeline out to the middle of the lake to get rid of it? How stupid do they think we are? Selenium is known to accumulate in living organisms. What about the contamination of millions of birds and brine shrimp?
Kennecott created this problem by failing to properly line their tailing ponds – they should clean it up entirely no matter what the cost. They are liable. Somehow we have got to alert the environmental community of this threat. Any suggestions that you have would be deeply appreciated
Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District UPDES Permit to Discharge to Great Salt Lake: The public is invited to comment on the proposal of the JVWD to discharge byproduct (including selenium) from the reverse osmosis treatment plant directly into Gilbert Bay of the GSL. This permit is part of the larger project currently underway to clean up groundwater contaminated by Kennecott mining. The Utah Division of Water Quality will review and rule on the plan to discharge this “byproduct” water via a 21-mile long pipeline now under construction from the treatment plant in West Jordan to the Lake. A public information meeting will be held March 22 from 5:00 to 7:30 at the State Library, 250 N. 1950 W. Room 227. The permit will be available for public review.
Gerald M. McDonough
Search One Utah
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (19)
- Larry Bergan: I, personally, have no control over whether your comments show up immediately or not Glenn, but I’m the only one...
- glenn hoefer: Begs the question, the reason why nobody but a couple of you post and you are both admins, and then no one posts but...
- Larry Bergan: I promised Glenn that if he used one name, I would fish him out of the garbage. Bad decision.
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (9)
- glenn hoefer: Well duh Richard, the Imbecile had full spectrum dominance upon election, and rogered the republicans when any thought...
- Richard Warnick: A better comparison is how much President Obama achieved in his first month in office compared to Trump. Well...
- glenn hoefer: Tuning in here is like going to this site, except that this site is actually real..It is sad to see how far the progs...
- Leonard Pitts to Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump was campaigning in Orlando today, seemingly unaware that he won already and is responsible for his actions....
- Larry Bergan: Sorry Christians. It’s up to you to clean up your act. My mom is a Mormon Christian to the bone and...
- Larry Bergan: Hypocrisy has worked wonderfully for the Republican Christians, even over decades of being caught doing it. Pay...
- Flynn Needs A Special Prosecutor (8)
- Outdoor Retailers to Gov. Herbert: We’re Outta Here (1)
- Larry Bergan: Well that should be great for tourism.
- Does It Seem Like Jason Chaffetz Is Having A Hard Time Here? (33)
- Trump Approval = 36 Percent (28)
- Richard Warnick: Today Trump dumped a whole truckload of alt-facts on us. Among other things, he said his administration is...
- Trump Ready To Support ‘Entitlement Reform’ And You Know What THAT Means (6)
- Larry Bergan: Tonight must have been gun night on PBS. An excellent new treatment of the Ruby Ridge tragedy, which gives both sides...
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (19)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video