Posts Tagged Kennecott
The State of Utah and Kennecott are moving much quicker than we thought to implement their plans to dump millions of gallons of selenium contaminated water into the middle of Great Salt Lake via a 21 mile pipeline. An Information meeting (Dog and Pony Show) will be held Monday evening (most appropriately I think) at the State Library for the Blind!
Steve Erickson of the Citizen’s Education Project talked to the Water Resources guy who is in charge of the project and he told Steve that the pipeline is already under construction! Steve also tells me that they have no permits to proceed with anything but drawings.
This is, of course, almost identical to the process the Utah State Division of Transportation employed to jump start the Legacy Highway. That was a mistake – perhaps this is as well. What kind of presence can we generate between now and Monday? I note that “the public is invited to comment on the proposal.” If they follow the same scenario that UDOT did this meeting may be designed to convince the public that “this is a done deal and there is no point in trying to fight it.” If so, it is a lie!
If the selenium content is as minuscule and harmless as they say it is then how come they are constructing a multimillion dollar pipeline out to the middle of the lake to get rid of it? How stupid do they think we are? Selenium is known to accumulate in living organisms. What about the contamination of millions of birds and brine shrimp?
Kennecott created this problem by failing to properly line their tailing ponds – they should clean it up entirely no matter what the cost. They are liable. Somehow we have got to alert the environmental community of this threat. Any suggestions that you have would be deeply appreciated
Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District UPDES Permit to Discharge to Great Salt Lake: The public is invited to comment on the proposal of the JVWD to discharge byproduct (including selenium) from the reverse osmosis treatment plant directly into Gilbert Bay of the GSL. This permit is part of the larger project currently underway to clean up groundwater contaminated by Kennecott mining. The Utah Division of Water Quality will review and rule on the plan to discharge this “byproduct” water via a 21-mile long pipeline now under construction from the treatment plant in West Jordan to the Lake. A public information meeting will be held March 22 from 5:00 to 7:30 at the State Library, 250 N. 1950 W. Room 227. The permit will be available for public review.
Gerald M. McDonough
Search One Utah
- Never Give Up! Millions March Against Trump (9)
- Larry Bergan: It was definitely pink day on the mall today!
- Richard Warnick: Supposedly Trump got a majority of white women, though Hillary came in first among women overall.
- The o'blahblah legacy: This, after the most transparent administration in US history!! LOL!! Get dafuck outta here!! It’s shit...
- Bloodsuckers Big Day! (4)
- Larry Bergan: Wow! Right out of the gate with an obvious lie. How stupid do these guys think we are. He must have been including the...
- Richard Warnick: ‘Embarrassing and pathetic’: Twitter rips Spicer’s claim that Trump inaugural crowd was ‘largest ever’
- Larry Bergan: Amazingly, the song is from 1974. Neil Young knows things.
- The Right Created Trump – they own him and everything he does (14)
- Richard Warnick: How about this, then? Making America great? Trump’s First Move as President: Screwing Over Homeowners Trump...
- The o'blahblah legacy: Nobody for Trump is much is much interested in federal jobs until that waste of cash is rectified from the...
- The o'blahblah legacy: Hahahha Larry…you remind me of the Indians when they sold Manhattan for a basket of...
- President Obama Proclaims Bears Ears National Monument (7)
- Manning Goes Free In May! (11)
- Is This Really Happening? (8)
- glenn hoefer: There has been absolutely nothing to stand for until now. Anyone with any passion has been careful to keep their...
- Larry Bergan: Glenn: Damn proud of you! Seriously, I’ve never seen you praise any politician until now. I didn’t know...
- glenn hoefer: Yeah, hildebeest, destroyer of nations, picking an unjustified fight with Russia, and losing badly BTW, 8 years of a...
- Evil Russkie Conspiracy Theory Report: High Confidence But No New Evidence (29)
- glenn hoefer: Under this President I suspect that anyone blowing shit up will be dealt with harshly. I suspect thought there will be...
- Never Give Up! Millions March Against Trump (9)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video