Posts Tagged Krugman
I’m not sure about the title of this article Perhaps it is a take off of a John Dean’s book which is a permanent link (under references) on our sidebar.
Its about tribalism and loyalty over justice, principle and ideas….but you knew that.
Adam Serwer writes about Jay Bybee’s attempt to get off the hook:
So Bybee knew he was breaking the law in allowing the use of torture, but you have to understand, he only did it because he really wanted to be a federal judge. That’s not exculpatory information, that’s motive.
Exactly right. But you have to understand what Bybee is: he’s someone who made a career as a movement conservative apparatchik. In his world, following orders and getting rewarded for his obedience was what it was all about; he’s completely shocked to find that the rules have changed.
And here’s the thing: most prominent Republicans are just the same. We wonder how someone as hapless as John Boehner could be minority leader, why one Congressman after another abjectly apologizes to Rush Limbaugh, and so on; the answer is that they’re hollow men, careerists who thought they had a safe ride. If someone like Newt Gingrich seems like a giant in his party these days, that’s because, say what you like about him (and I don’t like much about him!), he got into the business when doing so involved taking some actual risks.
And that, I think, is why the Republicans have fallen apart so completely since losing the election. Careerism is what held the party together; an environment in which the party no longer has the patronage to reward all its loyalists, and may not even be able to protect apparatchiks who broke the law, destroys the whole system.
Now, there are a lot of people with real conviction in the GOP these days. Unfortunately, those convictions include the idea that Barack Obama is a socialist, or maybe a fascist, that gays are the greatest threat we face, and … well, you get the picture. It’s a fervent base, but not, unless Obama really really messes up, an election-winning coalition.
Sic transit — and good riddance.
So why do so many people continue to vote for Republicans? Turns out, there is no debate. It easy science. Watch.
Paraphrasing the ancients at about 16:20′ he says:
That our righteous minds were designed by evolution to
-unite us into teams
-divide us against other teams
– and then to blind us to the truth.
I would seem that Rachel Maddow has unleashed a vile of courage in the Washington Press Corps. Its about time.
I remember fondly the first time I heard phrases like “not wholly accurate” and “of questionable validity” shift to use of the ‘L’-word. It was sometime in late 2004.
You can only imagine my delight these days. I seems one can almost breath in the new, fresh air of truth as truth should be, distinct and elevated by the honest use of the word ‘Lie’
Paul Krugman lost his virginity today. Its all the rage.
These stories have two things in common: they’re all claims recently made by the McCain campaign — and they’re all out-and-out lies.
Dishonesty is nothing new in politics. I spent much of 2000 — my first year at The Times — trying to alert readers to the blatant dishonesty of the Bush campaign’s claims about taxes, spending and Social Security.
But I can’t think of any precedent, at least in America, for the blizzard of lies since the Republican convention. The Bush campaign’s lies in 2000 were artful — you needed some grasp of arithmetic to realize that you were being conned. This year, however, the McCain campaign keeps making assertions that anyone with an Internet connection can disprove in a minute, and repeating these assertions over and over again.
The first hint of the fresh air from Washington came from the Post on Wednesday in As Campaign Heats Up, Untruths Can Become Facts Before They’re Undone. Not only does a staff write use the “L-word”, he refers to it as such.
But here is why every good Utahn should vote for Obama.
Fed up, the Obama campaign broke a taboo on Monday and used the “L-word” of politics to say that the McCain campaign was lying about the Bridge to Nowhere.
Palin and John McCain, the GOP presidential nominee, have been more aggressive in recent days in repeating what their opponents say are outright lies. Almost every day, for instance, McCain says rival Barack Obama would raise everyone’s taxes, even though the Democrat’s tax plan exempts families that earn less than $250,000.
The ‘taboo’ is broken.
This 2006 article, Woodward Affirms Bush Is a Liar, I think, reflects the mid-point in our struggle to protect the virtue of truth referring to ‘half truths’ and ‘untruths’ as LIES.
In other words, Woodward defends himself by pointing out, in numerous ways, that George W. Bush is a liar.
But I am puzzled–you see, I read the Washington Post every single morning, and for the life of me I can’t remember the big front-page headlines where the biggest-name reporter in the Western World specifically called George W. Bush a liar about the biggest issue facing America.
I call on my noble adversaries and my priesthood holding friends to RISE UP, take back the truth at whatever cost! Lets together become the protectors of, nay, warriors for, TRUTH.
For there is nothing more dangerous, than complacency in the face of a lie.
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ…
Watch for upcoming episodes about other Republican liars. And feel free to suggest YOUR favorite Republican liar in the comments below.
Search One Utah
- Manning Goes Free In May! (4)
- Larry Bergan: Well somebody needs to be pardoned for stealing the election, but it’s not Assange. Besides, nobody EVER gets...
- glenn hoefer: Let’s see if Assange chump’s obama..this will be good. Would you come back here to face...
- Larry Bergan: Wow. I didn’t know about that promise. That’s an interesting angle. If Assange actually carries out with...
- Is This Really Happening? (8)
- glenn hoefer: There has been absolutely nothing to stand for until now. Anyone with any passion has been careful to keep their...
- Larry Bergan: Glenn: Damn proud of you! Seriously, I’ve never seen you praise any politician until now. I didn’t know...
- glenn hoefer: Yeah, hildebeest, destroyer of nations, picking an unjustified fight with Russia, and losing badly BTW, 8 years of a...
- Evil Russkie Conspiracy Theory Report: High Confidence But No New Evidence (29)
- glenn hoefer: Under this President I suspect that anyone blowing shit up will be dealt with harshly. I suspect thought there will be...
- Larry Bergan: Putin has come out blaming the democrats for the dossier, when it was actually commissioned by Republican candidates...
- Richard Warnick: I have to agree the neocon Cold War re-start project is a very bad idea. Hillary and Obama were wrong to support...
- President Obama Proclaims Bears Ears National Monument (5)
- Richard Warnick: The Antiquities Act has survived many legal challenges. For example, President Theodore Roosevelt used the Act to...
- Ken: Trump must reverse this and Congress needs to change the law or the courts need to actually follow the law that states it is...
- Larry Bergan: Beautiful Vimeo! KSL had some stunning shots from the air tonight.
- Apartheid Calculus or Utter Amorality? North Carolina Republicans Post Election Power Grab (33)
- glenn hoefer: The upper echelons of leadership around the world are rife with pedophiles..We will never be seeing the...
- Larry Bergan: Not really sure I needed to know about that Glenn. Looks like Britain television is sort of obsessed with this stuff.
- Richard Warnick: Glenn, you were fake news years before they coined the term fake news.
- BEARS EARS! (4)
- Manning Goes Free In May! (4)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video