Posts Tagged Lying
Thoroughly debunked years ago, the gun lobby’s favorite research – a 1995 study by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz that reported an astounding 2.5 million defense gun uses (DGU) each year in the United States. Yep, you read it right; 2.5 million DGUs PER YEAR!
The Kleck study claims that 2.5 million times per year, someone uses a gun to defend themselves. That’s more defensive gun uses than happened in WWII in Europe in 1944. The Kleck study is so flawed the only thing it measures is the wild imagination of gun owners.
As recently as this month, the NRA referenced Kleck’s deeply flawed and thoroughly refuted study AGAIN in their magazine, America’s 1st Freedom.
With the help of liars like Alan Korwin and others, the NRA continues to feed its readers demonstrable lies and distortions.
Here, for your reference, is a short list of the many peer reviewed, refereed, academic articles published that clearly refute Kleck’s astronomical claim.*
- “The gun debate’s new mythical number: How many defensive uses per year?” Journal of Police Analysis and Management, 1997
- “The myth of millions of annual self-defense gun use: A case study of survey overestimates of rare events” Chance – American Statistical Association, 1997
- “Defensive Gun Uses: New Evidence from a National Survey” Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1998
- “The Relative Frequency of Offensive and Defensive Gun Uses: Results from a National Survey”, Violence and Victims, 2000
- “Myths about Defensive Gun Use and Permissive Gun Carry Laws” Berkeley Media Studies Group, 2000
- “Comparing the Incidence of Self-Defense Gun Use and Criminal Gun Use” Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009
The ultimate proof the Kleck claim is bullshit, is the fact that despite spending 35 million dollars/year to deceive the public and threaten politicians, in fourteen years since the study, the gun lobby has funded numerous FAILED attempts to repeat Kleck’s study.
*It should be noted that Gary Kleck has refused to defend his study ever since it was published.
Note to readers: OneUtah is a leading publisher of accurate, trustworthy, legal and scientific information about gun rights, guns, violence, gun violence and the psychology of CCP holders. Read more about guns and meet the gun lobby.
ammo, anti-gun progaganda, death, education, Gary Kleck, Gun Control, gun lobby, guns, hand guns, homicide, killers, killing, kleck, Kleck de-bunkerd. Kleck debunked, liar, liars, Lying, mass shooting, murder, National Rifle Association, nra, right to carry, RKBA, sandy hook, Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting, second amendment, self-defense, suicide
I think so. I herewith submit my name, candidacy and personage for the position on the Health Care Rationing Committee (HCRC). My deep knowledge of and intimate experience with Republicans makes me exceptionally qualified to further the the committee’s mission.
WASHINGTON — The Republican National Party (RNC) has mailed a fundraising appeal suggesting Democrats might…deny medical treatment to Republicans.
A questionnaire accompanying the appeal says the government could check voting registration records, “prompting fears that GOP voters might be discriminated against for medical treatment in a Democrat-imposed health care rationing system.”
It asks, “Does this possibility concern you?”
Katie Wright, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, said the question was “inartfully worded.” –> full article
What say we actually start doing things the Republicans are lying about.
The saddest part about all this, is the Republican strategist know their constituency is stupid enough to be cajoled by lies into fear. If they were smart enough to figure that out, I think they would be offended.
One might take exception to the plural Republicans, in the title, but they shouldn’t. ALL the republican candidates (except Ron Paul) lied about tons of stuff. Its all there on tape. Republicans are liars.
I would seem that Rachel Maddow has unleashed a vile of courage in the Washington Press Corps. Its about time.
I remember fondly the first time I heard phrases like “not wholly accurate” and “of questionable validity” shift to use of the ‘L’-word. It was sometime in late 2004.
You can only imagine my delight these days. I seems one can almost breath in the new, fresh air of truth as truth should be, distinct and elevated by the honest use of the word ‘Lie’
Paul Krugman lost his virginity today. Its all the rage.
These stories have two things in common: they’re all claims recently made by the McCain campaign — and they’re all out-and-out lies.
Dishonesty is nothing new in politics. I spent much of 2000 — my first year at The Times — trying to alert readers to the blatant dishonesty of the Bush campaign’s claims about taxes, spending and Social Security.
But I can’t think of any precedent, at least in America, for the blizzard of lies since the Republican convention. The Bush campaign’s lies in 2000 were artful — you needed some grasp of arithmetic to realize that you were being conned. This year, however, the McCain campaign keeps making assertions that anyone with an Internet connection can disprove in a minute, and repeating these assertions over and over again.
The first hint of the fresh air from Washington came from the Post on Wednesday in As Campaign Heats Up, Untruths Can Become Facts Before They’re Undone. Not only does a staff write use the “L-word”, he refers to it as such.
But here is why every good Utahn should vote for Obama.
Fed up, the Obama campaign broke a taboo on Monday and used the “L-word” of politics to say that the McCain campaign was lying about the Bridge to Nowhere.
Palin and John McCain, the GOP presidential nominee, have been more aggressive in recent days in repeating what their opponents say are outright lies. Almost every day, for instance, McCain says rival Barack Obama would raise everyone’s taxes, even though the Democrat’s tax plan exempts families that earn less than $250,000.
The ‘taboo’ is broken.
This 2006 article, Woodward Affirms Bush Is a Liar, I think, reflects the mid-point in our struggle to protect the virtue of truth referring to ‘half truths’ and ‘untruths’ as LIES.
In other words, Woodward defends himself by pointing out, in numerous ways, that George W. Bush is a liar.
But I am puzzled–you see, I read the Washington Post every single morning, and for the life of me I can’t remember the big front-page headlines where the biggest-name reporter in the Western World specifically called George W. Bush a liar about the biggest issue facing America.
I call on my noble adversaries and my priesthood holding friends to RISE UP, take back the truth at whatever cost! Lets together become the protectors of, nay, warriors for, TRUTH.
For there is nothing more dangerous, than complacency in the face of a lie.
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ…
Watch for upcoming episodes about other Republican liars. And feel free to suggest YOUR favorite Republican liar in the comments below.
I’ve discovered genius of Paul Mero and the New American Reactionary Pseudo-Religious Conservative. It was right there in front of me the whole time;
It goes like this;
Tell a lie, accuse the other side of everything his team is guilty of. Lie some more.
Example: “Conservatives are tough on their own kind…you guys, not so much.”
This one is particularly efficient because its starts with a lie and a projection in the same phrase, “Conservative are tough on their own,” and ends with another lie; “you guys, not so much.”
The reason this technique is so successful for Paul and fellow reactionary conservatives, is that intelligent people just walk away. This is also the reason Republicans keep winning…and lying. Well-educated, informed people quietly dismiss the lies and walk away.
And the ignorant and uninformed just assume it must be true because they don’t know any better and it conveniently validates their obsession with fear.
But I’m glad to see progressives are finally beginning to use the lie word. Its not easy though.
Progressive tend to be very respectful people. We prefer to say things like, ‘now, now Paul, aren’t you projecting a little bit?” Or, “gee Paul, that’s an interesting observation, but I think your interpretation is a bit subjective don’t you?”
No one likes to be disrespectful, but I think the time has come to break out and start calling a spade a spade. Lets just say it. LIAR, LIES, LYING.
So Paul, forget trying to defend the lie about whose tougher on whom. Instead, lets works on speaking the truth.
Which party is the biggest deficit spender? Which party has produced the biggest budget as a percentage of GNP. Which party has more elected officials in jail?
If you can answer these questions truthfully, then we will have a reason to give you the benefit of the doubt for an extra second, the next time you plop down a big fat lie.
With Love and Affection,
Can you hear the silence?
Now hear the lies.
And those are the easy ones. The distortions of truth (also called lying) are as egregious.
If you support Republicans, you support lying.
Search One Utah
- Evil Russkie Conspiracy Theory Report: High Confidence But No New Evidence (26)
- Larry Bergan: So Glenn: Are you going to sign up to fight for Trump when they start blowing up hotels with his name on them? You are...
- glenn hoefer: 3000 tanks and troops, apologies…80 MBT at the moment..point being..um..why? As if Russia would invade..as if...
- Richard Warnick: Where do you get your numbers? How can we have 3,000 tanks in Europe? What good does it do for Dems to have extra...
- Is This Really Happening? (5)
- Nathan Erkkila: Hillary made the mistake of being corrupt. If you saw her cabinet picks, you would realize that she would be no...
- Larry Bergan: Scotland’s Sunday Herald has it exactly right; we are living in a flawed, B grade, poorly written movie that you...
- Richard Warnick: Trump is poised to take away George W. Bush’s title as Worst President Ever. The Hillary campaign made the...
- President Obama Proclaims Bears Ears National Monument (5)
- Richard Warnick: The Antiquities Act has survived many legal challenges. For example, President Theodore Roosevelt used the Act to...
- Ken: Trump must reverse this and Congress needs to change the law or the courts need to actually follow the law that states it is...
- Larry Bergan: Beautiful Vimeo! KSL had some stunning shots from the air tonight.
- Apartheid Calculus or Utter Amorality? North Carolina Republicans Post Election Power Grab (33)
- glenn hoefer: The upper echelons of leadership around the world are rife with pedophiles..We will never be seeing the...
- Larry Bergan: Not really sure I needed to know about that Glenn. Looks like Britain television is sort of obsessed with this stuff.
- Richard Warnick: Glenn, you were fake news years before they coined the term fake news.
- BEARS EARS! (4)
- They Don’t Believe Trump Will Do What He Said He’ll Do (2)
- Richard Warnick: I read yesterday about an un-contacted Amazon tribe. My first thought was those guys are so lucky they have never...
- ‘To them, we were a leftist nuisance, nothing else’ (1)
- glenn hoefer: Well ya dopes, it all was ignored because the BurnOut was in on the HildeBeest FRAUD! Bernie was clinton’s...
- Glenn Greenwald: ‘Fake News is being aggressively spread by the very people most loudly complaining about it’ (55)
- glenn hoefer: Real news…unreported mostly here….http://www.independent.co.uk /news/world/europe/norway-paedophile-...
- Evil Russkie Conspiracy Theory Report: High Confidence But No New Evidence (26)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video