Posts Tagged rape culture
EJ Graff has been on FIRE at the American Prospect with a series of posts about the rape culture, sexual assault, domestic violence and ways to confront and change the world.
I don’t think it’s stretching things to say that sexual assault and domestic violence are linked. Before I go to far, I want to point out that women can be perpetrators of both sexual assault and domestic violence. And, importantly, men who commit both sexual violence and domestic violence are the minority. The goal eliminating sexual assault and domestic violence no matter the gender of the victim. Women are far more likely to be victims of both than are men. In a recent post, Graff addressed the Steubenville case and called for a move from rape culture to respect culture.
Some background is necessary on Steubenville. The basic outline feels all too familiar. A group of local school athletes have been accused of raping a 16 year old. The case went viral when a video surfaced:
EJ Graf’s title says it all. Her article at American Prospect is powerful. The money quote:
“Rape culture,” as young feminists now call this, isn’t limited to India. It lives anywhere that has a “traditional” vision of women’s sexuality. A culture in which women are expected to remain virgins until marriage is a rape culture. In that vision, women’s bodies are for use primarily for procreation or male pleasure. They must be kept pure. While cultural conservatives would disagree, this attitude gives men license to patrol—in some cases with violence—women’s hopes for controlling their lives and bodies.
It’s a culture that sees women’s sexuality as property of men. It’s a culture that values women according to their supposed sexual purity.
A culture in which women must cover up or be threatened is a rape culture. You’re thinking of hijab and burquas, right? Think also of the now well-known SlutWalks, which were launched after a Toronto police officer told young women that they could avoid rape by not dressing like “sluts.” The protests, which have spread worldwide, make the point that no matter how we dress, women are at risk; and no matter how we dress, our bodies are our own.
Purity culture is a culture that is threatened by female autonomy.
Search One Utah
- Zero Democracy In No Time At All (15)
- Major Victory For Stein Recount In Michigan! (11)
- Larry Bergan: So then… Voting machines and Trump? I’m trying to work with you. Do you think Sanders was in on this scam...
- Nathan Erkkila: Is that what you honestly believe? Yes the election was rigged against Sanders, but that was to ensure that Hillary...
- Larry Bergan: I’ll bet you the conversation on this blog would be a lot better, if even the administrators didn’t have to pull their...
- What Did and Did Not Happen at that Pizzeria in Washington DC (2)
- Green Party Files For Election Recounts! (83)
- Larry Bergan: The donation page has really stagnated. Hello out there! Has anybody seen George Soros?
- Larry Bergan: Haha! No, that wasn’t directed at you Richard. I’ve been putting that phrase all over Facebook. Looks like...
- Richard Warnick: Greens Heading Into Federal Court on Monday to Seek Statewide Pennsylvania Recount: Media reports that they pulled...
- Kendrick Eagle Message to Obama: ‘You said you would have our backs’ (9)
- Richard Warnick: Army Halts Construction Of Dakota Access Pipeline
- The Healthcare Reform Debate Revisited: What exactly is Obamacare? (11)
- Larry Bergan: I thought I might have my Obamacare go up as much as $100.00 from the way they were talking, but that didn’t...
- Glenden Brown: I wish I knew, Larry, I wish I knew. If the Republicans use repeal/delay, they’ll have to make all sorts of...
- Larry Bergan: Glenden: What am I going to do now? I just got through re-enrolling for Obamacare and my bill went up $20.00 a month....
- Hillary Recounts Her True Character (2)
- What did not happen in Twin Falls, ID (2)
- Richard Warnick: This is SOP for the Tea-GOP. And now we have a president-elect who says climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video