Posts Tagged rape culture
EJ Graff has been on FIRE at the American Prospect with a series of posts about the rape culture, sexual assault, domestic violence and ways to confront and change the world.
I don’t think it’s stretching things to say that sexual assault and domestic violence are linked. Before I go to far, I want to point out that women can be perpetrators of both sexual assault and domestic violence. And, importantly, men who commit both sexual violence and domestic violence are the minority. The goal eliminating sexual assault and domestic violence no matter the gender of the victim. Women are far more likely to be victims of both than are men. In a recent post, Graff addressed the Steubenville case and called for a move from rape culture to respect culture.
Some background is necessary on Steubenville. The basic outline feels all too familiar. A group of local school athletes have been accused of raping a 16 year old. The case went viral when a video surfaced:
EJ Graf’s title says it all. Her article at American Prospect is powerful. The money quote:
“Rape culture,” as young feminists now call this, isn’t limited to India. It lives anywhere that has a “traditional” vision of women’s sexuality. A culture in which women are expected to remain virgins until marriage is a rape culture. In that vision, women’s bodies are for use primarily for procreation or male pleasure. They must be kept pure. While cultural conservatives would disagree, this attitude gives men license to patrol—in some cases with violence—women’s hopes for controlling their lives and bodies.
It’s a culture that sees women’s sexuality as property of men. It’s a culture that values women according to their supposed sexual purity.
A culture in which women must cover up or be threatened is a rape culture. You’re thinking of hijab and burquas, right? Think also of the now well-known SlutWalks, which were launched after a Toronto police officer told young women that they could avoid rape by not dressing like “sluts.” The protests, which have spread worldwide, make the point that no matter how we dress, women are at risk; and no matter how we dress, our bodies are our own.
Purity culture is a culture that is threatened by female autonomy.
Search One Utah
- “The Donald” Doth Protest Too Much (13)
- Richard Warnick: I assumed everyone knew who Peter G. Peterson is. He’s running all these scary deficit TV ads promoting...
- Larry Bergan: I’ve never heard that name before. Wikipedia doesn’t have much on him, but it’s not negative. What...
- Richard Warnick: In last night’s debate Hillary pledged to not add one penny to the National Debt. We might as well have Peter...
- What Keeps People Down? (4)
- Larry Bergan: Ken: Have you been taking self help classes? Are you really Tony Robbins?
- Ken Bingham: This is not about bootstraps. bootsraps says you are on your own and no one else can help you. No this is about helping...
- Ken Bingham: Why change things when there is so much power and fortune to be made perpetuating the status quo?
- Letter to My Hypothalamus (1)
- Larry Bergan: That was really thankless and cruel, Ken. I think that’s your republican side coming out. You should probably...
- Yes, we were in the abuser’s house (22)
- Smokin' Dead Libya: Seems like the good people of Utah are getting it.. http://www.breitbart.com/2016-preside...
- Smokin' Dead Libya: The Russian prospect is armed with a dead man’s switch, which is something to consider in a HildeBeest...
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept has a story about Hillary’s plans for a corporate tax holiday for multinationals. Almost no...
- Hillary’s Wall Street Speeches: Politicians ‘need both a public and a private position’ (5)
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept: Hillary Clinton should release the full transcripts of her speeches, to clear everything up
- Larry Bergan: I was just starting to realize they had passed over the climate again just before that question. I see Trump as the...
- Richard Warnick: James Carville on MSNBC: “The fact-checkers are going to be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.” Of...
- Mike Weinholtz Versus Governor Herbert In Televised Debate (15)
- The Jimmy Dore Show: Forget The Lesser Evil (11)
- Larry Bergan: Very Funny!
- Allan Lichtenstein: ‘The rich get richer, the rest get poorer’ (2)
- Nathan Erkkila: You had your chance with Sanders. Neither Clinton Nor Trump will do anything for people who cannot afford private...
- “The Donald” Doth Protest Too Much (13)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video