Posts Tagged Tribalism
The reason so many Americans are willing to bask in blissful ignorance, practice self-destructive politics and parrot irrational arguments is clearly explained by Conservative Authoritarianism; the research that came out of trying to understand Nazi Germany. The zoological basis of Authoritarianism is tribalism.
I’ve written about this before and I’m writing about it again because it keeps coming up over and over again in conversation.
This single interview was a my epiphany in the quest to understand why so many people are so willing to accept at face value, whatever they are told by people on TV or YouTube or church and willing to vote against their self-interest. Today those same people are the ones who have been unwilling or unable to grasp the evidence and reality that Bush, the neocon movement, his administration, have been feeding us a pack of lies in the most criminal fashion.
John Dean, Republican adviser to Richard Nixon has written a deeply disturbing book about the conservative right’s growing move toward authoritarianism and blind loyalty. Its an old concept. It worked for Hitler and others. It is at work today.
This interview with Keith Olbermann gives us a frightening new perspective on the use of fear to gain and keep power.
General obedience in not always a bad thing. Blind obedience however is possibly responsible for all the most horrific acts ever perpetrated on this planet by our species. The research Dean refers to in the book is largely the life work of Robert Altemeyer who is himself writing an online book called The Authoritarians.
Dean’s book is called Conservatives Without Conscience.
Search One Utah
- Who is Peter G. Peterson? (2)
- “The Donald” Doth Protest Too Much (13)
- Richard Warnick: I assumed everyone knew who Peter G. Peterson is. He’s running all these scary deficit TV ads promoting...
- Larry Bergan: I’ve never heard that name before. Wikipedia doesn’t have much on him, but it’s not negative. What...
- Richard Warnick: In last night’s debate Hillary pledged to not add one penny to the National Debt. We might as well have Peter...
- What Keeps People Down? (4)
- Larry Bergan: Ken: Have you been taking self help classes? Are you really Tony Robbins?
- Ken Bingham: This is not about bootstraps. bootsraps says you are on your own and no one else can help you. No this is about helping...
- Ken Bingham: Why change things when there is so much power and fortune to be made perpetuating the status quo?
- Letter to My Hypothalamus (1)
- Larry Bergan: That was really thankless and cruel, Ken. I think that’s your republican side coming out. You should probably...
- Yes, we were in the abuser’s house (22)
- Smokin' Dead Libya: Seems like the good people of Utah are getting it.. http://www.breitbart.com/2016-preside...
- Smokin' Dead Libya: The Russian prospect is armed with a dead man’s switch, which is something to consider in a HildeBeest...
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept has a story about Hillary’s plans for a corporate tax holiday for multinationals. Almost no...
- Hillary’s Wall Street Speeches: Politicians ‘need both a public and a private position’ (5)
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept: Hillary Clinton should release the full transcripts of her speeches, to clear everything up
- Larry Bergan: I was just starting to realize they had passed over the climate again just before that question. I see Trump as the...
- Richard Warnick: James Carville on MSNBC: “The fact-checkers are going to be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.” Of...
- Mike Weinholtz Versus Governor Herbert In Televised Debate (15)
- The Jimmy Dore Show: Forget The Lesser Evil (11)
- Larry Bergan: Very Funny!
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video